Monday, July 25, 2005

A Gripe About Blogger

Just a point I wanted to make about my profile listed in the right-hand column. When you make your profile on Blogger, it has a place for you to enter your birthday. I just put in the date itself, not the year, in part because it's never really that good of an idea to enter too much personal information in online profiles. But Blogger then takes that information and presents it to the world as an astrological sign, rather than the actual birthday. So here I am, pitching a site dedicated to rationality, and I've got my astrological sign on it. Seems like a bit of a disconnect.

This does, however, bring to mind a story from a couple weeks ago related to NASA's Deep Impact mission. This was the one where they smashed a probe into the comet Tempel 1 in the hopes of learning more about what comets are made of, how they form, etc. But a Russian astrologist is now suing the agency for $300 million in damages because, she claims, the impact has changed the trajectory of the comet, thus altering her horoscope and future (and apparently everyone else's, too).

The astrologer, Marina Bai, must have an extremely complex chart if it includes such objects as comets in its calculations. It makes you wonder what the hapless medieval astrologers did back in the day, when they didn't even know of the existence of all of the planets (not to mention the recently discovered Sedna)!

File this as another example of ignorance and superstition costing people real money and time, as the Russian courts are obligated to take the time to dismiss the case, if nothing else.

In case you were wondering, as a Cancer, I'm supposedly very emotional and intuitive. Shrewd, imaginative and good at problem-solving. I also worry a lot, cling to others, have an inability to let go when something's over, and get moody. Relatives and friends take heart! I apparently give very inventive presents. Of course, "inventive" can have multiple meanings, not all good. I should apparently become a teacher, or possibly a psychic healer. I could be a doctor, or maybe work from home. I'm not supposed to be able to work well under pressure, so I guess I shouldn't have become a journalist.

Oh, and I'm drawn to organized religion.

Just like everyone, I see some hits and some MAJOR misses. With this rate of inaccuracy, I think Ms. Bai should have other concerns about her prognostication tool of choice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home